“When Spring comes to Paris, the humblest mortal alive must feel that he dwells in paradise” Henry Miller.
Henry Miller use to live in Paris from 1930 to 1939.
That’s where he wrote his first book “Tropic of Cancer” (then “Tropic of Capricorn), which are based on his experiences in New York and Paris. Tropic of Cancer was published in Paris in 1934 (but banned from publication in all English-speaking countries).
During the first year in Paris, Miller had little or no money, but was determined to succeed. Then he met Anaïs Nin, who supported him both financially and encouraged his writing aspirations.
They both lived a few years in the Paris ‘s 14th district, Villa Seurat (n°18), located in Montsouris neighborhood.
This period in Paris was highly creative for Miller and during this time he established a significant and influential network of authors circulating around the Villa Seurat. He was influenced by the French surrealists, and by Georges Orwell.
Miller loved his new life : “I have no money, no ressources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive”. He later wrote that his happiest moments in Paris were those in the Villa Seurat.
Inn 1939, with the coming of the WWII, Henry Miller went back to America and moved to California.
A few other Paris locations where Henry Miller lived :
- In 1930, 2, rue Auguste Bartholdi, Paris 15;
- 5, rue Saint Louis en L’ïle (Paris 4),
- 135, boulevard Montparnasse (Paris 14th)
- Villa Seurat – a private cul-de-sac about 100 yards long on the east side of the Tombe Issoire street near n°100 – Metro stop : Denfert Rochereau or Alésia in Montsouris neighborhood
Your Private Walk with Ann Jeanne in Paris, a native Parisian :
You’d like to feel like a local and having a tour in a Paris neighborhood, but you don’t feel having a tour with a group ?
- You’d like to discover Paris off the beaten path ?
- You’d like to see Paris in another perspective and to know more about Paris lifestyle ?
CONTACT me for a private walking tour and EXPERIENCE PARIS as a local
- You only, or you and the person you choose.
- Duration of the tour : from 2 hours. It includes a coffee in an authentic cafe
- The tour can be customized according to your preferences and interests
For more details : The tours and Booking and Pricing
Don’t hesitate to contact me
[…] the midst of the author’s brief stay in Paris in the 1930’s, and amongst the booze that often accompanied the Lost Generation of writers (not to mention his […]