Montmartre, a Paris neighborhood,
but still a village atmosphère.
On of the most visited Paris neighborhood – One of the city’s most famous landmarks.
Montmartre is a hill. On its summit : the Sacré Coeur (=Holy Heart). For some Parisians, its nickname is “Paris’ beauty spot“
A village until 1860 and the feeling still nowadays that you’re not totally in Paris.
Cobblestones narrow and winding streets, quaint houses, vineyards (yes : still nowadays ! A Harvest Festival every 1st weekend of October), 2 windmills, romantic alleyways and long stairways, restaurants and cafés that could be located in Provence, quiet squares. The feeling that you’re far from a big city…
And it’s where Amelie, (the movie) was shot.
And from the Sacré Coeur terrace : a beautiful view over Paris.
Montmartre : the highlight of artistic life
From the end of the 19th century , Montmartre is the center of artistic life in Paris, the model of a free , bohemian existence. Composers, writers, painters, poets are gathering, lived and worked in Montmartre
Impressionist painters :Manet, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Pissaro, Utrillo, Cezanne, Sysley…
Other painters : Modigliani, Picasso (he painted “Les demoiselles d’Avignon” in Montmartre), Van Gogh, Dali, Braque, Toulouse Lautrec, Seurat, Léger…
Writers, singers, poets, musicians : Appolinaire, , Debussy, Ravel, Satie, Stravinsky, Mallarmé, Verlaine, Proust, Edith Piaf, Boris Vian, Jean Cocteau, Truffaut, ,, the Surrealists…etc lived there too.
To enjoy Paris as a local : take a walk in Montmartre with “Ann Jeanne in Paris”
More photos :
My advice :
I’m a bit sad to see visitors going straight up to the top of Montmartre hill, stay for a while near the Sacré Coeur and Place du Tertre, then get back to the Metro stop Abbesses or Anvers. Yes, they’re missing a lot of what makes Montmartre a charming and quiet place, a village with its narrow cobblestone streets, its quaint houses…etc They’re probably missing the most important.
- Visit Montmartre in the morning so to avoid too much crowd and if possible, plan to stay at least 3 or 4 hours in the neighborhood, the best would be the day with a break in a nice and quite restaurant or café not too close from the most touristic spots.
- Why not start your walk from the Metro Stop Lamarck Caulaincourt (north of the Sacré Coeur) or from the Metro Blanche ? (see the Metro Map – Menu : Useful informations) – Metro Pigalle or Anvers possible too
How to get to Montmartre ?
Lamarck Caulaincourt or Abbesses (line 12)
Blanche, Anvers (line 2)
Buses : 30, 54, 67 or Montmartrobus.
Some addresses :
- Le tracteur rouge – 41 rue Caulaincourt – Paris 18 : for a lovely lunch, brunch, or dinner in a charming and very welcoming place. Metro Lamark Caulaincourt (at the bottom of Montmartre hill)
- L’Hôtel Particulier – Charming hotel in the middle of Montmartre
- L’été en Pente douce – a nice colored tarrace – a quiet village atmosphere – a very pleasant place for a lunch, a drink, a break
- Le café des 2 moulins (the café of Amelie (movie)) – 15 rue Lepic – Paris 18 – Rue Lepic : where much of the movie Amelie was shot)
- Grenat et Taffetas – Beautiful vintage jewels – 25 rue Houdon – Paris 18 nearby the Place des Abbesses – Metro Stop : Abesses
75018 Paris – 0142592249 – Tuesday to Saturday : 11 am to 7 pm, Sunday : 12 am to 6 pm
- Bakery Boris Lumé – 48 rue Caulaincourt – Paris 18
Here is a video shot a rainy winter day in Montmartre
Visit Montmartre, with “Ann Jeanne in Paris”, native Parisian :
(cobblestones winding streets, romantic alleyways, long stairways, vineyards, windmills, authentic cafes …)
- You’d like to feel like a local and having a tour in a Paris neighborhood, but you don’t feel having a tour with a group ?
- You’d like to discover Montmartre off the beaten path and get a real feel of an authentic Paris ?
- You’d like to see Paris in another perspective and to know more about Paris lifestyle and Parisians ? Feel free to contact me
- I’d be delighted to welcome you and show you “my” Paris. And Paris will become “your” city too 🙂
- The tour is private (with you only or you and the person you choose), at your pace. Duration : Half a day
- For more details : The tours – Booking and Pricing
- Feel free to contact me