Autumn stroll in Paris
(end of September – end of december December)
There are many reasons to visit Paris in the Fall, though Paris is enjoyable in every single season.
I love Paris in the Fall – Cole Porter
I love Paris every moment,
Every moment of the year.
Written by Cole Porter
In the Fall :
- Temperatures cool down quite a bit at the beginning of october. It’s a perfect time to enjoy walks through Paris and a stroll along the Seine river. September and even october can be warm.
- It’s less crowded and visiting Versailles or going to museum or at the Eiffel Tower is easier.
- The colors are blooming and the light is beautiful. It’s a very photogenic season. There are color everywhere. Parks and gardens (Luxembourg Garden, Tuileries garden, Palais Royal garden, Place des Vosges, Parc Monceau…) are lovelier than ever. They turn yellow, orange and bright red.
- It’s the season for enjoying a hot chocolate at Angelina or a warm crêpe, for going to a beautiful tea room or a cafe, such as Ladurée, Les 2 Magots, Le Flore,
- It’s the season for enjoying a cruise on the river Seine, with a wonderful light on the facades of the buildings.
- You can enjoy outdoor terraces. Parisians are still sitting outside on terraces (The restaurants and cafés in Paris heat their terraces)
- There are plenty of great events and exhibitions going on. Exhibitions and events such as (during Fall 2016) :
- René Magritte La Trahison des Images (The Treachery of Images from the 21 september to the 23 january – at the Centre Pompidou
- Picasso-Giacometti from the 4th of October to 05 February at the Picasso Museum rue de Thorigny, Paris 4 – The exhibition brings together painters and sculptors Pablo Picasso and Alberto Giacometti.
- American painting of the 1930s from 12 cotober to 30 january, An exhibition dedicated to the American visual arts of the 1930s
- Oscar Wilde, l’impertinent absolu, Homage to one of the most famous Francophile writers in English – at the Petit Palais
- The Spectacular Second Empire 1852-1870 – from 27 september 2016 to 16 january 2017 – For its 30th anniversary, the Musée d’Orsay throws the spotlight on the Second Empire – at the Orsay museum
- FIAC, International Contemporary Art Fair – from 20 October to 23 October – One of the globe’s largest forums for contemporary artis, gallery owners and dealers (generally end of october). Over 180 international galleries and over 1500 artists – Gallerists come from all parts of the world. Generally the 3d weekend of october. This year : it was held at the Grand Palais and various other locations.
- Travel expenses are more affordable. It’s the beginning of low season, especially from around mid-october.
My feeling : Yes ! Fall is a great season for a visit to Paris. And I like Paris in the Fall and in all the seasons ! But I particularly like Paris during the Summer. Summer, my favorite season in Paris.
I don’t know why so awful and/or odd things are written about “Paris in the Summer”… I regularly read that Paris is a “dead city” during the summer, that everything’s closed, that Parisian have escaped faraway because they don’t like Paris. This is my favorite season in Paris, alike many Parisians who are real Paris lovers. It’s true that many locals are on holidays, but the Parisian Paris lovers have often chosen to stay in their city and enjoy it at its most. Paris is quiet without people rushing everywhere, without the stress of a business atmosphere, of people rushing to be in time to start their day at their office, No more crowd in the tube, nor the bus . No traffic jam. and perfect for enjoying the city. I know lots of Parisians, like me who like this holiday atmosphere. Yes Paris is on holiday, Paris is resting from all its stress. Paris is happy at summer time.
No , I don’t say “Don’t come in the fall, in the springtime or in the winter”, (!!) because each season is great and special, but during Summer time, you can enjoy Paris with (almost) all its restaurants, cafés, museum, and including (almost !) all its Parisian Paris lovers !! Most restaurants, shops, in the nicest part of Paris are opened (but probably not in the areas off the beaten path).
Other great events going on each Fall in Paris
- White night (Nuit Blanche) An annual celebration of art and culture, where hundred of art galleries, museums, city halls and even swinmming pools are open all night and are free to the public ; In October
- Montmartre wine harvest (Vendanges de Montmartre) which is an annual wine harvest festival, The village-like Montmartre still produce wines. The harvest is celebrated with fanfares, performing artists. It las all weekend. Mid october. The wine isn’t especially good, but it’s still a great experience.
- International photography fair (the Salon de la photo), October is a month dedicated to photography.
- Beaujolais Nouveau night : generally on the third week of october
- The Chocolat trade fair (Salon du Chocolat) : each year, the Porte de Versailles convention hosts a trade event dedicated to the chocolate, with visitors sampling chocolate of all sorts. Generally end of october.
- Musical waters at the Château de Versailles : classical music in the garden.
- The Techno Parade : French electronic music and dance in the streets of Paris.
- The European heritage days (Journées du Patrimoine) For 2 days (a weekend) each year in the fall, Paris monuments, government buildings, city halls and others open their dorrs to the public (generally mid september weekend)
- The Paris fashion week : almost impossible to see a show but it is still a fun time to be in Paris.
Experience Paris, with Ann Jeanne in Paris, native
You’d like to visit Paris, but don’t feel having a tour with a group ?
You ‘d like to feel welcome in Paris, whether you’re coming alone or not
You’d like to get a real feel of an authentic Paris, the Paris of the Parisians and get full of tips from a native ?
You’d like to see Paris in another perspective and to know more about Paris and Parisians’s life and culture ?
I’d be delighted to welcome you and share “my” Paris with you … And Paris will be “your” city too
The tours are private (with you only or you and the person you choose), at your pace and customized according to your wishes and interests – For more details : “Ann Jeanne in Paris” tours, Booking and Pricing
All the tours can be customized – Feel free to Contact me
Autumn walk in Paris : a slideshow with music by Ann Jeanne in Paris
I love Paris (The song)
I love Paris is a song written by Cole Porter and published in 1953. It has been played and sung by many artists : Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Maurice Chevalier, Vanessa Paradis, Lana Del Rey, Charlie Parker, Michel Legrand, Peter Cincotti, Doris Day, Dean Martin… Here is the version sung by Frank Sinatra
Every time I look down on this timeless town
Whether blue or gray be her skies.
Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,
More and more do I realize:
I love Paris in the springtime.
I love Paris in the fall.
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.
I love Paris every moment,
Every moment of the year.
I love Paris, why, oh why do I love Paris?
Because my love is near.
Written by Cole Porter • Copyright © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc